- 1 can (about 15 oz/425g of chickpeas, already cooked)
- 1/3 cup of peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- 1 teaspoon of salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 4 tablespoons of a liquid sweetener (honey, maple syrup, molasses) or 1/2 cup of pureed fruit (e.g. prunes, dates, banana)
Consistency options: if you want a creamier consistency, add a couple tablespoons of milk or milk alternative. Remember to refrigerate leftovers to keep diary safe! If you want a thicker ‘dough’, add in a dry ingredient (e.g. quick-cooking oats, cocoa powder, or any type of flour) to soak up the extra liquid.
Your-choice mix-ins: nuts, seeds, dates, raisins, chocolate chips, coconut shavings, dried fruit
Drain the cooked chickpeas and mash them well with a fork (or in a food processor). Chickpeas should be a consistent ‘mush’ by the end of mashing—no whole pieces left. Mix them together with all other ingredients—adjust consistency as stated above. Store leftovers covered in the fridge. Serves 10.
—Submitted by Franklynn B., University College London and Yale