June is National Safety Month. Here’s a checklist for summer safety:
- Always wear seat belts in vehicles.
- Wear a reflective vest and lights (front and back) when biking, running/walking, skateboarding, etc. at night.
- Check bike and other helmets for condition and proper fit. Learn about helmet fitting.
- Use wrist guards, elbow and kneepads, and other equipment when rollerblading or other activities.
- Check the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Develop a plan in case of fire or other emergencies.
- Carry emergency contact information with you when traveling.
- Use the buddy system: Travel in pairs or groups whenever possible, especially in unfamiliar surroundings. Make sure friends and family know where you’ll be.