- 2 14 oz. cans full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 10–12 pitted dates, chopped and processed in food processor with about ¼ cup water; or use ¼ to ½ cup date paste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla non-dairy milk (almond, soy, coconut, cashew, or a blend)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt, optional (intensifies chocolate taste)
- Room-temperature coffee
Store coconut milk in fridge overnight to thicken. In the morning, place a bowl in the freezer and let it chill prior to making ice cream. Place pitted dates in food processor and chop until it is a smooth paste. Alternately, purchase pre-prepared date paste, which can be found at some natural grocery stores. Open coconut milk cans and scrape separated coconut cream from top of can. (You can disregard the liquid or use it in other recipes.) Place cream in the mixing bowl. Using a stand or hand mixer or high-powered blender, whip the coconut cream until smooth. Add cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla, almond milk, sea salt, and half of the date mixture. Mix until combined. Taste and add more dates to reach desired sweetness. Place cupcake liners in a cupcake pan and portion mixture into the cups. Cover pan with foil and place in freezer. Let chill for several hours and enjoy!
Pour coffee into ice cube tray. Store tray in freezer until frozen and enjoy in your next cup of iced coffee or even in a smoothie!
Recipe adapted slightly from Minimalist Baker
—Submitted by Jordan J., Lasell College